Saturday, June 11, 2011

First Dose

First dose of malaria medication. 
This marks one week until my feet land on Haitian soil, and I can't help thinking about my first trip to Haiti two years ago.  

I had seen a lot of photographs and heard a lot of stories, but nothing can prepare you for what it is actually like to drive down the crowded streets of Port au Prince, walk through a village on a market day, or praise Jesus alongside the poorest of the poor.  It broke my heart, challenged my comfortable life and lukewarm faith, humbled me to my knees, but most of all- it sent me head over heels in love with a country and a people so beautiful.


Ever been in love?  If yes, you know what it's like.  Every day since that first trip in April 2009, I have thought about Haiti.  Every single day.  At times, my heart aches so much to be there.  And now, with only a week until my adventure begins, I can scarcely concentrate on anything else.
I only pray that God will work through me because I can do nothing apart from Him.  He is changing Haiti, healing Haiti, restoring Haiti through the hands of ordinary people.  I am unworthy to be one of those people, but amazed and grateful that nevertheless, God has chosen me to be a part of His great plan.
To God be all the glory.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Erica,
    Thanks to your Aunt Renee I have your blog to follow now. I enjoyed reading about your love for Haiti, and your experience there your first week. I will pray for you to find your "niche", as it is sometimes hard in a work like yours to know what that exactly is. I know God will show you and make each day a blessing to you and to Him. Rev. 5:8.. our prayers are incense to God! love, Janis T.

    ReplyDelete