Friday, August 19, 2011

A Thousand Dark Faces

Wednesday night I was afraid to go to sleep.  Afraid that I would wake up and realize it had all been a dream.  A dream of a thousand dark faces with a thousand white smiles.  A dream of small hands slipping into mine- black in white, white in black.  A dream of low, fast drumbeats and melodic voices.  A dream of layers of mountains and turquoise blue water and red flowers sprayed across tree tops.  A dream of blinking in bright sunlight and dancing in downpours.

But I woke up and realized it was not a dream, but that it was more real than anything I have ever known- a place where joy and faith and sorrow and hope exist in raw form, all at once, in tension and communion with one another.  No escape or sedation.  Just pure hunger- for food and for love and for God and for justice.  And I pray that I will never forget.

2 comments:

  1. Erica,
    "Real life" are words that we hear often in a variety of contexts. I think what you have experienced is "real life" the way God intended. When we consider the "abundant life" that God desires to give us, few would search in a place that is full of abject poverty and apparent hopelessness. But considering His demand on our lives (that we die to self, that we willingly give it all up), it makes perfect sense. I thank God for the blessing He has made of your life. In you, His name has been magnified. Thank you.
    Dale

    ReplyDelete
  2. My heart is so filled with joy to see how God has blessed you with His love. He has chosen to use you and you have chosen to respond to His voice. Your obedience is a testimony to all of us and gives glory to our God! xox

    ReplyDelete