Friday, July 15, 2011

Thunderstorms

If you know me, then you know that I love sunshine. Yeah, I know. It's not an uncommon love. Most people probably say that they love sunshine, but I crave sunshine like an addict. When I take a walk, I walk on the sunny side of the street. When I choose a place to sit outside, I choose a chair in the sun. I even linger in front of the windows at work. I relish that little bit of sunshine shining in a car window or casting shapes on a hardwood floor. Therefore, you can imagine that the abundant (some might even say excessive) sunshine in Haiti is like my dream come true.

Although I love that every day this summer has been sunny, here in Haiti, I equally love the rain. Rain in Haiti is a fantastic display of God's power and a rejuvenation to the dry and dusty earth. This week, we had a fantastic rainstorm- the best since I have been here. As we walked up the dark hill from Tuesday night's church service, the sky was a lightning show and the rolling thunder got louder and louder. The wind whipped our skirts around our legs and our hair across our faces. Then, without so much as a warning raindrop, the skies opened in a downpour, roaring so loudly on the tin roof over the dining area that you could not hold a conversation without shouting.

Lauren and I decided to climb the ladder to the guys' roof deck. (Lauren is one of the other interns.) Our arms outstretched and faces upward, we let the rain drench us, and then we laughed with excitement when we shivered. We were cold in Haiti. It was pretty much a miracle. We continued to wonder at how beautiful the storm was. We spoke about how infinite and amazing God truly is and how often we forget that his power and love have no limits. We think we understand that God is all-powerful, infinite in love and mercy, and completely sovereign, but we live as though he is not. When lightning lit up the world around us so that it looked like daylight, Lauren and I screamed and grabbed each other in terror and then kept on laughing.



God's power is so clearly displayed in an incredible summer thunderstorm, but we only have to open our eyes to what he is doing everyday all around us. My friend Alyse shared the following verse with me this week:
Look at the nations and watch- and be utterly amazed. For I am going to do something in your days that you would not believe even if you were told.” (Habakkuk 1:5)
The truth is that He is changing Haiti, ushering in his Kingdom, transforming individual lives everyday here. He is working and speaking through those He has called to be His hands and feet. We work together- those He has called- Haitian and American, rich and poor, black and white, but as one body united in Christ. And we hear as God tells us to watch, to listen, to wait- to remember that the crying will only last for the night- for he will do great things, unbelievable things before our eyes.

No comments:

Post a Comment