Thursday, November 24, 2016

Give Thanks

My heart is full after a day of family and good things, and it is easy to feel grateful.

But let's be honest, my heart does not always feel so full.
Sometimes when I struggle to feel happy, this tiny part of a song plays in my head:

"A thankful heart is a happy heart."

I heard it on Veggie Tales a few times.  Very simple.  Childlike simplicity.  Still, I oftentimes forget the truth it proclaims, and I see many adults forgetting as well.  Being thankful produces joy in us.

I always love Thanksgiving as a holiday, and it reminds me that I am called to give thanks every day.  God's Word actually tells us: "Give thanks" like a direction or command.  And although it might produce joy in me, the reason we give thanks is not primarily for our benefit but because God is God.  He is good.  He is love.  He is the giver of all good things.

Giving thanks takes the focus off of us and fixes our eyes on Jesus.  When we forget ourselves and look to him, we know his joy.

"Give thanks to the Lord for he is good.  His love endures forever."
Psalm 118:1



Happy Thanksgiving.

1 comment: